Thursday, October 6, 2011

New Life

We welcomed Crew James Dennison into this world on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 5:10pm. It was a pretty smooth labor (except for the whole pain thing...), and it all went very quickly. I was admitted into the hospital at around noon (which, really was closer to 1 since I had to answer and sign 40-million questions). 

For those interested in how it all went down (so, don't read on if you don't like TMI): at 3:40pm the nurse checked me and I was 5cm dilated. I had grand plans of a no-drugs delivery, but at that point, since I was only 5cm, I decided, as my dr had recommended, "not to be a hero". I went ahead with the go-ahead for the epidural.  Right after that I told Dave I needed to go pee, so he helped me to the bathroom (I was strep B positive, so I was hooked up to IVs etc). After I went to the bathroom (and at this point, the contractions were about 3 minutes apart), as I was still sitting there, I told Dave that I really felt like I needed to push...and it felt good to continue to sit there. At that point, Dave marginally freaked and called the nurse. She rushed in, made me move to the bed, and she checked me again. I was already 8cm...not 10 minutes after I was 5! She shouted for the anaeseisiologist, who quickly came in with his gear. If you're familiar with the epidural process, you will know that to get one, you have to sit with your legs over the edge of the bed and curl over your back. Well, this was going to be impossible for me because as soon as I sat up I felt like I need to push with every contractions, which were 1.5minutes apart by this time. The nurse checked me again, and I was 9cm. The dr was hesitant to go ahead with the epidural because I could nearly start pushing. BUT, the baby was still pretty high up, which could take anywhere from 5-30 minutes for him to descend fully. I wasn't prepared to wait 30 minutes...without dying anyway. So, the dr proceeded with the epidural with me lying down on my side.  He was good. He was fast. But, unfortunately, because I was so far along, it only marginally numbed the pain. But, by that point, I was ok with marginal numbing. As long as I wasn't having to scream out bloody murder, I was good to go.

Because I was partially numb, I wasn't having the excessive urge to push. It was there, but not uncontrollably so, like before. About that time, my mom got there (just in the nick of time!!). By 4:50 it was time to start pushing, and 20 minutes later he was born! Even though it's my third baby, it doesn't get old. It's such a miracle, and I am so very thankful for my new little guy.


After about 1 hour in the delivery room, it was time to head over to my post-partum room. My dad brought William and Hudson up, and they were waiting for us in our room there. Hudson was immediately smitten, while William was a little more shy at first. But, it didn't take long for both of them to "get" what was going on...and to show their excitement in meeting their little brother. They both kept coming up to me and saying "I love baby Crew." So sweet!

On Wednesday my mom brought Hudson up to the hospital while William was at school so that he could see the baby and spend some time with us by himself. It was a special time for him for sure! My parents took him home for a nap, and then my mom brought William up for his alone time visit while Hudson was napping. It was nice, and less nerve-racking to have them up individually!!
They all came up for dinner, and more cuddle time with the baby! William and Hudson sported their "Crew" shirts for the occasion, and Crew showed off his little bro tshirt. 

William and Hudson were a little sad to leave, as they're ready for us all 5 to be home together. We are optimistic that this afternoon will be a sweet reunion for all of us as we begin this new crazy chapter in our lives!

3 comments:

Tasha said...

WOW!!!! I am impressed! Already a blog post with a new baby. See you got this down already girl! I love all the pictures! And love your new family of FIVE!!!!

Melissa Batusic said...

Awww, I love you! Congratulations, Dennisons!

Katie Henry said...

CONGRATS!!!! HE IS PRECIOUS!