Friday, September 9, 2011

The Room

Well, I've finally (well, 95%) finished the baby's room. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I think Crew will grow to love it as well. :-)

I wanted to do something new, this being our 3rd boy and all. Truth be told, I needed something to get me excited about a third boy, and since I didn't have him in my arms to love on, I had to turn to decorating. And I have to say, it worked! 

We bought this dresser at IKEA a couple of months ago. It game with dark grey knobs, but the colors in the room are dark blue, light blue, grey and orange, so William and I painted the knobs to match the decor. I love how it gives a nice pop of color!

It's a little crowded in there, I realize, but really, how much space does an infant need?
We were given this super nice glider with an ottoman when we found out we were pregnant, but it was pink. So, I bought this fabric, and we had it reupholstered. I just picked it up on Wednesday, and I love how it turned out. As an added bonus, it's SUPER comfy! I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of baby rockin' done in that chair (and I can't wait!!).

After MUCH thought and scouring the internet for ideas, we (ahem, I) decided to go with a robot theme. I found the bedding at Land of Nod and fell in love. It's boyish, but not too babyish. William and Hudson are also big fans.

This is the artwork above the twin bed/glider. William and Hudson drew/colored these. William did the one on the left, Hudson on the far right (I know, it's kind of hard to see), and they both contributed to the one in the middle. They both had so much fun being creative with drawing robots for the baby's room.

Hanging above/in front of the window are gears/spare parts that my dad picked up from his shop and the leases. I thought they would be super cute to hang from the ceiling to give it that 3D look and also add an element of family to the room. He will, I have no doubt, encounter these parts when he's working with Papa in the years to come! William immediately recognized the parts when he saw them, and he loves how they all look like robot parts!

This is the room from the door:

The unfinished part is I want to buy a piece of robot artwork to hang above the crib. The wall is currently blank, but hopefully it will be filled soon. I also have a bunch of bigger parts that my dad gave me, and I plan to put those on a ledge shelf somewhere in the room. But, even as it is, we love it!

7 comments:

Laura SanchezQuan said...

SUPER cute, love the robot theme!

Molly said...

Which room is that? I can't tell. Very cute decor!!

Tasha said...

Oh Meagan, it is GREAT!!! So glad you shared it. I love the robot theme!!!! I want to come rock Crew in that chair one day :)

Katie Henry said...

love it and love the kids art! fabulous idea!

maren said...

Fabulous room! Thanks for sharing! I like decorating a room into something they can grow into, rather than having to redo from being too baby-ish! Love how your other two made the artwork!!!

Scott and Ashley said...

Love it!! You inspired me and i might just have a robot birthday for Marky (since he's the terminator). The room is super cool. I know that Crew will be equally cool too.

Natasha Tracy said...

Wow, it turned out so cute! I love the robot theme. I particularly like the idea of having parts from dad's shop to hang up. I showed it to Keira and she was upset and said "oh no, I was supposed to draw a robot for his room!"