Friday, February 4, 2011

5 Years

I simply cannot believe that my child is 5 years old. Where have the years gone? Yes, I realize this is a very cliche thing to say....but it's the truth. We had grand plans for William's birthday (it was Tuesday, Feb 1). It was a school day, so he was going to take his classmates cupcakes. He requested homemade spaghetti for dinner, which I was going to slave away all day making. We were going to have a yummy chocolate cake for dinner, and open gifts. I was getting him a fish from a friend who no longer wanted theirs. It was to be a great birthday day.

It all started on Monday when I started feeling under the weather...sore throat (never a good sign). Then the weather forecasters were calling for an Arctic Blast to hit during the night. It was so much of a threat that they called off school the next day (there goes the cupcakes for his classmates). I decided I better head to the doctor since the arctic blast would probably keep us trapped inside for a least a day. Good thing I did because it turned out I had strep throat (there goes me making him homemade spaghetti).

My hero dad braved the roads on Tuesday morning to come pick up the boys so that I could lay in bed all day, and so that William had at least a little bit of excitement for his birthday. Playing at Mimi and Papa's is always exciting. I promised William a special birthday dinner the next day, and he was as happy as a lark about it. Papa brought the boys home around dinner time, and we let William open the other gifts that had been collected from other family members. Phew!

I still didn't feel great on Wednesday, but I mustered up the energy to make him his requested dinner. By dinner time, I was feeling about 80%, so I considered it a good day. The dinner was everything he wished for, and he even ate 2 servings! I had planned to make the classmate cupcakes for him that night so that he could take them to school the next day, but alas, school was cancelled again.

We still haven't ventured out to get said fish, but he knows that there's one more gift coming. It's like the birthday that keeps on giving! And we'll manage to get his classmates some cupcakes next Tuesday, assuming we don't get more ice and snow.

I think he's about 1 week old here:

1st birthday (cake in the face!):

2nd birthday:

3rd birthday (in Houston):

4th birthday:

5th birthday (way excited about money!):

I love you so much, William!!!

1 comment:

Melissa Batusic said...

Happy Birthday, William!! Meg, I hope that you feel better soon!