Monday, July 25, 2011

Not your average Monday

Today started fairly normally: I got up around 7, Hudson got up around 8, William got up around 8:30. Hudson was downstairs with me, I was fixing their morning OJ, and I could hear William playing upstairs. (side note: William is a perfectionist, and we have been working with him on not getting overly frustrated when things don't work together just the way he envisions it. i.e. trying to teach him self-control so that he doesn't throw tantrums/tear apart his toys when he's frustrated). A few minutes before 9, I hear William stomping down the stairs, so I knew we were going to have to have a discussion about his temper/frustration levels. I was in my room, and I hear him SLAM the pantry door shut on his way through the kitchen. LONG story incredibly short, the entire top shelf of the pantry door (which happens to house 4 large bottles of liquor) came crashing down into the pantry, shattering glass and liquor all over the pantry. It was not a good moment. In fact, I had to call Dave to come home from work so that I could maintain sanity. Only by the grace of God did I manage to keep my cool, but I didn't want to take any chances. :-) I will spare you the details of what ensued after that, but by 10:30, I had a nice, clean sparkly pantry. I'm trying to find the silver lining in the losing of all my favorite booze. :-)

The rest of the morning/afternoon went fairly well. The kids behaved, William maintained self-control (and so did I), and we even managed a trip to McDonalds with friends.

After dinner we decided to go to the neighborhood spray park since our pool is closed on Mondays. It's only about 5 blocks from our house, so the boys rode their bikes while Dave and I walked. About 15 minutes into their playtime, William started crying hysterically. He turned around and we saw lots and lots of blood coming down his face. Dave scooped him up, and we could see that he had a pretty good gash on the upper part of his forehead. Thankfully, there was another dad there that volunteered to drive Dave home to get our car. I got the bleeding to stop just about the time Dave arrived with the car. He loaded up the bikes, and we tossed the kids in the car and headed to Urgent Care.

Because of it being "trauma" they got us in right away. In fact, the whole process was only about an hour, which was MUCH shorter than I anticipated. Another long story short, William ended up with 2 stitches. He was a champ through the whole thing.

the unstitched wound:
 all stitched up:
 a happy little patient!

Since he was so good we took him to get shaved ice across the street. As we sat there enjoying our dessert, I told William that the word of the day for him was "Karma." He asked what that meant. I told him that it meant that he got what was coming. He replied with "Oh, I like that word since I'm having shaved ice right now." Not really the reaction I was looking for, but it was funny nonetheless!

I'm pressing the "restart" button for tomorrow...

3 comments:

Katie Henry said...

Poor buddy!!!

Tasha said...

I am so happy he is better! I am not so happy for you that you lost all that good stuf in the pantry. WOW! And what a good Momma for even going somewhere after all that.

Scott and Ashley said...

Oh, Meg! What a day! Glad he is okay, but so sorry you lost your booze. :-(