Monday, October 18, 2010

Field Trip

This past weekend we went up to Oklahoma for a little camping trip and Kiddie Park trip. I got up there on Thursday evening, and Dave flew in Friday morning. Since our friends weren't going to arrive until late afternoon on Friday, we decided to go meet my dad and Garrett for lunch in Wynona. Wynona is the town where my dad's workshop it, and a lot of his leases are also located there. It's the tiniest town I've ever been to (about 300 ppl)...it has 1 restaurant, 1 gas station, and NO stop lights! 

Here are the kids looking at some of Papa's equipment:

After lunch at DJ's hamburger joint, dad wanted to take us to this ranch where he was going to be borrowing some hay/trailer for a hayride. My dad knows these ranchers because some of his leases are located on the land. It just so happened that the rancher was having his cows "worked on"-- castrations, brandings, ear piercings, vaccinations, etc. So, we got to observe a little bit of it:
 (yes, that's a bucket full of cow testicles)

After the science lesson on the ranch, we headed to check out some of Papa's leases.
He showed the kids how to stop/start a well:
 Then, he showed the boys "what money looks like"
 Total Papa's boy:
 going up to measure the level of oil in the tanks:
 Garrett had to do a quick repair:


It was so fun to show the kids that side of life-- of Papa's life now and of my life as a kid. I have so many memories of coming to these exact leases when I was their age (and older). 

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I could have done without the cow thingys picture, but nice science lesson!
How special to share with the boys part of your childhood. I bet your Dad enjoyed sharing it too!