Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Fruits of my Labor

Well, this is my first year to have a "garden". I say "garden" because I don't really have much-- 3 tomato plants, 2 strawberry plants, and 1 blueberry plant. The blueberry plant has yet to produce anything, although it is alive and is growing a bit. The strawberry plants have produced 4 very delicious strawberries... I'm hopeful that next year they will give me more. But they are alive, growing, and that was more than I expected when I started this small venture. I have no pictures of my strawberries because as soon and the boys and I spot a ripe strawberry, there is no time to take pictures. We gobble them/it up!
Now, on to my tomatoes... They are exploding! They have grown to over 6 feet tall. I am half expecting my neighbors to either complain or start picking the tomatoes from their yard because that's really how tall they are. See picture below:

If I had know they would grow THIS tall, I would have put them in the back of my garden. They are stifling my strawberries...

I had been concerned for quite some time that while they were growing and there were TONS of little green tomatoes, they weren't getting big and they weren't turning red. So, I did a little research, and I had planted cherry tomato plants! I knew Sweet Million were supposed to be good, which is why I got them, but didn't know they were tiny. At least nothing was wrong with my plants! Well, last week, they all of sudden started turning red! So, on Sunday, I picked my first little batch of cherry tomatoes, and boy were they yummy! There is not much better than home grown tomatoes!


I know this might seem like a piddley amount of tomatoes, but for me, this is super exciting. I've never grown anything. Shoot, I don't even have any live plants in my house because I forget to water them! So, this is huge for me.

2 comments:

The Andersons said...

wow! how cool! I planted 4 tomato plants, but not until kinda late, so I think I have awhile to wait before I start reaping the fruits of my "labor." I love cherry tomatoes - they are so sweet and great in salads!

Janelle said...

Anna-Kate and I race each other to see who gets to eat the cherry tomatos out of the garden! Nothing better! Regarding strawberries, I had some when we lived on Lkt Mtn and from what I understand you get a handful the first few years, and it isn't until like year 5 that they really start producing. :)