Saturday, September 1, 2012

15 minutes


You know how "they" say that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame? Well, I really hope this wasn't mine!!!
On Thursday my friend Jen and I took the "little" kids to the zoo, and we brought along my niece Emery since Tasha was homeschooling Keira that morning (not sure how much longer we can call our 4 yr olds the "little" kids...esp since Crew is really the little kid now). Anyway, we were looking forward to going because the weather has been much cooler in the mornings, and there was a month old baby giraffe that we wanted to see. Who isn't a sucker for a baby animal? We saw the baby giraffe (super cute), and we started making our way to the big cat area. The rhinos are on the way...and we don't usually do much more than swing by and take a quick peek. BUT, Thursday we noticed a teeny tiny baby rhino. Not sure if you've ever seen a baby rhino, but it's one of those so.ugly.it's.cute sort of things. Anyway, as we and the kids were ooo-ing and aahh-ing over the cute/ugly little thing, a mass group of cameramen/photographers/directors of the zoo came up behind us. We sort of were asked to shift off to the side. As we found out, that day was the first day the 9 day old baby rhino was out for the public to see. 
As we were walking away, the local NBC station asked me if we'd be willing to be on camera talking about the baby rhino. Sure, why not. They hooked me up to a mic, and off we went. The problem was, he didn't really ask us any questions, so it was a little awkward. I mean, what can you say, unprompted, about a baby rhino? Cute. Fun. Neat. I mean, seeing the rhinos is barely a blip on our zoo radar!
Anyway, he told us we'd be on the 4, 5, or 6 o'clock news. We figured it would be the 4 o'clock since it didn't seem like a very big headliner. It seems that Thursdays news was pretty slow because we were on the 6 o'clock news!!!!!! 
Here are a few pics I snapped while we were watching it:



If you're interested in watching the clip, click HERE.

So, while it was kinda cool to be on the news, and the boys thought it was a blast...I really hope that's not my 15 minutes. Because if it is, that's pretty lame.

No comments: